Thursday, October 24, 2019

A Coast and a Beach

A coast and a beach

Another windy day which meant searching for swim locations on the lee side of islands.

This was an unusual combination of swims today.

The first was like we'd had before: paralleling the coast of an island. I'm starting to get the hang of this as we divide into our pace groups and get dropped off. Nothing in terms of view to report, just the standard beauty of the island coast and the fantastical underwater viewing: clear, blue water as far down as I can see and calm seas on the lee side.

Our lunch stop was at an island with a small village and a picturesque church atop the hill dominating everything. A group of us hiked up to it to enjoy the view and to marvel at all the crypts that surround the church. It was remarkable to me that, according to the grave markers, most of those interred there had died since about the mid-1940s. Somehow, I expected a much longer history.

Then lunch, highlighted by cold spaghetti, which got a lot of comments, none favorable.

After lunch, a bumpy channel crossing to swim parallel to a major beach/tourist area. It was a big change from the islands, for sure. We were instructed to stay together as this was a busy area and, sure enough, a jet ski came zooming out to emphasize the point.

Then back to Prvic Luka to drop off the tired crew. For some reason I was just completely tired out. Maybe it was the unaccustomed distance I was swimming, maybe it was how cold I got after each swim, or maybe a combination of both. In any case, all I wanted to do was sleep. I resisted for a time but finally gave in and dropped into bed for a good 8 hours of rest.

That was good because I felt very perky in the morning, ready to go at it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment