Wednesday, October 30, 2019

La Granja, Rio Erasmo

La Granja, Rio Erasmo (10/30)

Today was our last walking day in Spain. A few more days of touristing and then back to the USA.

We stayed last night in a hotel in La Granja virtually next door to the Palacia Real built by Philip V, the first Bourbon Spanish king, in the early 1700s. It's modeled on the palace at Versailles and we walked a bit in the open gardens today.

Our core walk, however, was from our hotel past a polo field and stables through an oak woodland that ultimately led us to the Rio Erasmo. Along the banks of the Rio Erasmo is a path that was built by one of the later Bourbon kings to improve access to the river for fishing. It's a lovely stone paved walkway that hugs the shore of the river.

I made the mistake of forgetting my trekking poles when we stopped to take off clothing on our way out and, when I realized what I'd done and walked back, they were gone. The up side is that I won't have to pack them in my bag for the trip home and I won't have to go to REI to have them replaced due to the broken grip for which I'd cobbled a fix.

We finished our day by visiting the Palacia Real gardens and gaping at the excess of the building and grounds. Then, with perfect timing we returned to our hotel to fetch our bags and wait for our taxi to Segovia as it began to gently rain! From here on it's all city stuff so rain matters very little.

A few days in Segovia, then we begin our journey home to the USA.



No comments:

Post a Comment