Thursday, October 24, 2019

A Coast and a Channel

A coast and a channel

Another cold morning and the wind has picked up.

Our guides and boat captain decided that we were to cruise for an hour or so to our starting location. If the wind-driven waves look OK when we arrive, we'll have another crossing. Otherwise, it will be a shore swim.

Well, the wind gods were not in a crossing mood so we headed over to another island for a shore swim. Good choice as there was some pretty good chop.

As soon as we got into to the lee side of the island the waves dissipated and we were presented with very smooth water. Same, familiar drill: send off the orange caps, move back a few 100 meters and send off the yellow caps, then another few hundred meters to send off the pink caps.

This shore was quite beautiful, not quite up to yesterday's shore, but still very nice. I even saw a couple of jellyfish! One pulsating near the surface, the other near the bottom. On this swim I never felt warm. A deep cold feeling seemed to settle into my arms. Then, of course, some shivering after getting back on the boat.

Off to lunch at a holiday island, one with a sponge shop. Some folks dropped into the sponge shop; I opted to walk around the island. A good, solid lunch was available when I returned. There was a long line of trekkers sitting on the dock, backs to a short wall, somewhat sheltered from the annoying and cold wind. Seemed like everyone was tired (I know I was) because the talking was absent or subdued.

After a time we were all called, groaning, back aboard.

Our last swim of the day was a channel swim: down one side, make a short crossing, then swim back to near our starting point. The water was much more turbid than we've encountered with visibility of only a meter or so. By the time I got back to the boat, I was ready to get out. Except for today, I'd not worn my vest for the afternoon swim, but today I felt like I needed it. 

Our final boat ride back to Prvic Luka was a real rock and roller with waves between 1 and 2 meters out in the channel!

Tonight, get some dinner (early, I hope) then off to dreamland in my warm bed.

Highlight video


No comments:

Post a Comment