Thursday, October 24, 2019

Last Day in Split

Last Day in Split (10/14)

Today I met with the local representative of my walking tour company (The Natural Adventure Company) and got all the materials for my walking adventure, which begins tomorrow. These materials included a booklet detailing information about each day, maps, vouchers, and passes. A lot of stuff to keep track of!

In addition, I visited the Cathedral of Saint Dominus, contained within the confines of the Diocletian Palace. What a magnificent building! The original structure was built by the emperor Diocletius in the 3rd century AD then expanded and converted to a Catholic cathedral in the 7th century. Wikipedia asserts that it's the oldest Catholic cathedral in the world that remains in use.

Normally I don't like to visit churches but the wealth, design, and craftsmanship that this building demonstrates is just astounding.

In the afternoon I walked along the shore to the beach/swim area that I'd spotted yesterday and had a quick dip in the sea, probably my last sea swim while here. It was interesting to see the sidewalk near the west end of the Riva that is emblazoned with brass plaques commemorating Croatian Olympic medalists.

Tomorrow I catch a 7:40 catamaran ride that will take me to the island of Brac and my first walk, this one to the highest point in the southern Dalmatians. If it's a clear day I should be able to see from Italy to the Croatian mountains.

Highlight video


No comments:

Post a Comment