Thursday, October 24, 2019

Hvar Island Coast

Hvar Island Coast Walk (10/16)

I was a bit disappointed at the start of today's walk as it took me first along the (paved) waterfront promenade, then onto the shoulder of a road next to the sea. But in about 3km the road dead-ended and I was on a delightful track that followed the shore.

What did I see?

Scads of wild rosemary, all in bloom. Small bays with flat, water washed limestone rocks so white that it made your eyes hurt. And, of course, crashing waves and more crashing waves. Last night was windy, with the wind coming out of the south and driving the surf up onto the rocky shore. Of course this created some spectacular waves and spumes of water. And the shore had a wild sense to it.

And, since the day was warm and muggy, the wind coming in off the ocean was very pleasant.

At about 7km I left to shore to follow a rocky dirt road through vineyards and olive groves almost back to Hvar Town, up and over a hill.

Just on the edge of Hvar I had a great view of the stone fortress that dominates the hill above Hvar and could see the wall that extends from the fortress down to the town and still surrounds some of the buildings.

To finish off the day I changed into my swim suit and took a dip in the sea, launching from the beach that's just down hill from my hotel.

Highlight video


No comments:

Post a Comment