Friday, October 25, 2019

Marjan Forest Walk

Marjan Forest

Today was a walking day.

Whenever Janet and I travel we always look for green areas on a map of the area because this indicates a park. This trip was no exception for me, so I applied the 'look for green' criterion to Split and there it was, a big green area out to the west.

Reading about it on-line, it's clear that the Marjan Forest Park is a major asset to the city of Split. From my room it's just a short distance to a narrow little street that leads to a stairway that leads to the top of the forested area.

The park is a lovely open pine forest that dominates a peninsula to the west of Split. After ascending the stairs, I found a network of unpaved paths that wandered about, just the sort of rambling that's to my liking when I want to be aimless. Since this is Sunday there were lots of families with small children using the park. And, it's set up to accommodate them. I walked past several areas with play areas very suitable for children.

In fact, after I crossed over the top I was attracted to the joyful screams of playing children down by the seaside. Following the sounds down, I came to a very large play area, right on the shore, just filled with happy children at play. I found a peaceful spot in the shade right next to the water and ate my lunch.

Much of the walk back from my lunch was along a paved road, but there was light traffic so it was quite tolerable. I did spot a large swim area close to my hotel which I think I'll visit tomorrow. It's a linked set of buoyed off areas right next to the shore and all within walking distance of my room.

Highlight video


No comments:

Post a Comment