Thursday, October 24, 2019

Brac Island

Brac Island (10/15)

Today's adventure started with a catamaran ride from Split to Milna on the island of Brac. Then a cab ride to Bol to my hotel where I arrived at about 9:30 AM to find that my room was ready for me! Yahoo! I dropped off my big pack, got my day pack ready, and headed to to hike to the summit of Vidova Gora. Fun fact: my driver on the ride from Milna said that marble used for the white house came from Brac. At least one internet source asserts the same, so it must be true...

I only got lost once on the way to the trail head; not bad for me. It's always a challenge for me to navigate unfamiliar streets and the directions I had to the trail head were not the most explicit. Anyway, I realized the error of my ways, made a correction, and continued upward.

The summit of Vidova Gora is at about 750m and, you do the math on elevation gain, with a sea level start. It was pretty steady up to the ridge crest, then almost flat for about 1km to the actual summit. Fantastic views!

This is limestone country so the trail surface was either smallish limestone rocks (up to 3cm or so) or cobbles from found in place rocks. The cobbles were really rough, let me tell you, and I tried to step from smooth to smooth on the way down, just to make it easier on my feet.

Pretty much all the trail section was in a forest of small pine trees with some kind of heather-looking plant in bloom along the sides of the trail. And were the bees a-buzzing in the heather. There was a pretty constant hum as I walked along. Much of the trail was on a south-facing slope so the occasional shade was very welcome.

The summit could almost be reached by car from the other direction, so there was quite a number of people lounging about and enjoying the view and the breeze, even some cyclists.

Tonight I walked around the hotel a bit, just to check it out, as it's a bit above my normal hotel pay grade. The guests never need to go outside the confines of the building with all kinds of facilities here, include a double kidney-shaped infinity pool! My, oh, my.

Well, a little dinner for me, then study my route for tomorrow: boat to another island, then 2 days before I move again.

Highlight video


No comments:

Post a Comment